Well Apple have released the public beta of Safari 3 for Windows, claiming it has “blazing performance” and an “elegant user interface”, judge the last point for yourself!
This is a screen shot of the default home page for Safari. There’s no text on the menus, or in the page, and the majority of the buttons haven’t loaded correctly either. I would include a link to this page so you could check it in other browsers, but the address bar doesn’t work, at all!
Apple say “Safari loads pages up to 2 times faster than Internet Explorer 7 and up to 1.6 times faster than Firefox 2.” which might be true, but I’d rather wait a few more seconds to have a page render correctly, especially if it means the Amazon home page doesn’t look like this
Here’s a summary of the issues I’ve experienced
- Text not being displayed – This includes in menu items, pages, web-page buttons, address bar, search box
- Buttons not being displayed – The back, forward and refresh are the only buttons that have any icons
- No tool tips – Anywhere. This is especially annoying when buttons and menu items aren’t displayed
- Broken address bar – This doesn’t work at all, you can’t see what page you’re currently viewing, or type anything into it, making the browser unusable
- Random crashes – The browser keeps crashing for no reason at all
This is a shame, I’d love to have a fully functional version of Safari available on Windows, it would make development and testing a hell of a lot easier, but judging by the experiences of others I’d say it’s a little too early for this beta